Tuesday, May 19, 2009

DreamCasting


Man, I am still on a high from last night. As with most Mondays, I met with Allison to plan our small group discussion, but yesterday was different. We met with our "boss" to discuss the current status of things- something I wouldn't usually consider a 'good' thing,' but it was awesome! I'm thinking we might need to meet like that every Monday, seriously :)

I won't bore you with the details, but we started talking about the church, the meaning of church and what it means to 'be' a church. See, in July, our church is having a gathering of all the leadership and anyone else who wants to attend, to discuss our current 'situation.' Our Senior Pastor feels we have reached a roadblock of sorts and wants to discuss our future direction. I REALLY hate I won't be able to attend, but my brother and I already spent a pretty penny on tickets to the Chelsea vs. AC Milan game in B'more on the same weekend.

So we sat around discussing vision. The staff is approaching this retreat with an extreme openness to God's voice, just hearing one of the pastors talk about it last night was really exciting. They are considering all options, no walls- which I think really allows God to work miracles. I'm praying that the time between now and then might be a period of reflection on the past and dreaming BIG for the future. At this point, I don't think there is a plan on how to run such a crucial meeting, but just sitting around talking last night, I really got to thinking.

I think there are two general philosophies, although I'd readily admit there are probably various other ways to conduct such meetings. I am somewhat torn which way to approach them. One way it could go down, would be to have a town hall meeting. Everyone communes with intentions to plan the future direction of the church. Or two, having a senior pastor, allow him to cast the vision God has given him for the church. I can definitely see positives for both. However, most of my exposure to the church world has been around the second approach.

The two days before I was married last year, I was in Fairfax for the "Whiteboard Sessions," where I heard Mark Batterson say, "One God idea is better than a thousand good ideas." Almost a year ago, I still think about that and it heavily influences my perception of the church- as well as soooo many other things in life. If God has burdened our Pastor's heart, I believe we should follow him and if we don't feel the same passion/calling, then it just might be time to find another church. It is crucial to identify similarly with the vision of the church and be compelled to join God's work there. I don't think there is anything wrong with that either- it is important to find a place God is working and that challenges you to meet Him in His work. I think for me, there is an overwhelming attraction to knowing that GOD, creator of the universe and author of salvation, has placed a defined, specific vision in my pastor's heart. Realizing it is biblically ordained and God expressed, I'd follow it to whole-heartedly and self-sacrifically. I've actually been searching for that- I want that.

I think I'll probably post about this again some time , but this is just where I am currently. My soul thirsts for something of God. I desperately want to be a part of God's work in His kingdom right now. Otherwise, what is this life that I'm living? It is fleeting and of my own compulsions, and I don't want that because I know my tendencies and I know they are inconsistent (just to be honest).

I don't think I deserve to be a part of God on Earth, but to think I might be able to be in on 'it' is too irresistable to deny.

No comments:

Post a Comment