Friday, May 29, 2009

raisin cakes, really?


This morning during my quiet time God made me laugh. Well, technically, his prophet Hosea made me laugh. Either way, it is kind of a rare occasion that I actually laugh outt loud during my quiet time, or any time I read the Bible for that matter. I guess generally I don't think about the Bible as a laughing matter (I've really never thought about that before, should it ever be?). I was reading my Bible on YouVersion, and luckily had it on the NIV translation otherwise I would've missed this surprise. P.S. I love YouVersion.

Hosea 3:1- 'The Lord said to me, “Go, show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another and is an adulteress. Love her as the Lord loves the Israelites, though they turn to other gods and love the sacred raisin cakes.”'

Everyone has their thorn, I just never thought raisin cakes would do it.... But seriously, apparently these delightful danishes were devoured during worship to Baal and the Israelites had chosen to worship Baal with prostitutes and food, rather than worship the ONE, TRUE God with their lives.

The fact that Hosea describes them as raisin cakes in the NIV translation only demonstrates that our idols can show up anywhere and be anything- especially now that raisin cakes are obsolete. From food and TV to work and money, I don't even know where to begin evaluating everything that I worship. I like to think that I talk to God more than I think about what's for dinner or what's the best way to save money, but I really don't know somedays. At the end of the day I guess I can only pray that God would mold my heart to yearn for things of Him and to change my desires to His desires. And hopefully He will slowly reveal to me that nothing tastes sweeter or feels better than the bread of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment