Wednesday, May 27, 2009

EJC 5K



A couple of weeks ago, Jordan and I got up early Saturday morning to travel 'home' to Richmond. Folks at Midlothian High School organized a day of family fun as a fundraiser for one of my high school friends. Actually, for two of my high school friends.
To be honest, I didn't know what to expect. Probably before this day was ever dreamed , I had aspirations of doing something for this great couple that I grew up with. I've known Jimmy since 4th grade and spent every afternoon during middle school and high school playing sports with him. I ran with Emily for three years in high school. I don't think I introduced them, but I'll bet I was there when they met.
From what I can tell, as Jimmy began his first year in medical school almost two years ago, they learned Emily had cancer, and about a year ago I was told that their insurance wouldn't cover the entirety of her treatment- specifically, Emily's bone marrow transplant. I remember talking to my Mom several times, brainstorming ideas about how to help them. Maybe ask for donations at church? Maybe organize some type of silent auction? A 5k? Every time getting lost in the size of debt they were in. But then again, organization has never been my strong suit.
Saturday was complete with a 5k run/walk, a kids run, blow-up games, a live band, a pony ride, face-paint, shirt dyeing, and FREE hula-hooping (of which there was no line). Long story short, it was great to see the community come together to support a struggling family. I think that's the mission of the church- to recognize needs and meet them. They never said how many people showed up, but I'd guess at least several hundred people came out just to say, "I care." I mean, I sit back and think to myself, for that many people to give up their one morning to sleep-in, to sacrifice their comfort in order to comfort someone else. I hope Jimmy and Emily realize how much people care, even if the words aren't always said. It was also special to finish Emily's race with my family. We've been blessed to never have to overcome something soo serious, but the fact that my family cares enough about someone else to participate, means I am a lucky guy to be a part of such a family.

----------------
Now playing: The King's Singers - Down to the river and pray
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment