Thursday, September 3, 2009

I'm a Doubting Thomas

My wife blogged about this song the other day, but I can't help but mention it myself! I first heard this song when cHOOSe performed it two years ago, but I had no idea that Nickel Creek wrote it, and that the original was soo incredible! I've been trying to get the guitar down ever since I got back from Germany and I think I finally have it, albeit a bit slower than the recording. Anyways, I've been playing Doubting Thomas by Nickel Creek, repeatedly, for 4 days. OK, maybe not 24 hours a day, but I wouldn't doubt if it is in my top-10 of all time on my iPOD now :)

I think I love the song so much because it addresses the conflict within my own heart. Trust. Which has a powerful neighbor known as Faith. Who kind of has a stick-in-the-mud neighbor who goes by OBEDIENCE. I want physical sustenance and security to ensure my plans won't be thwarted. Before I get a little risky, I want to know, and I mean KNOW, that there is some type of pre-nup or plan B that can serve as my emergency eject button to salvage some value. In science, we like to know the result and have the data before we even do the experiment (aka, grant writing). But I think we both know that when Abraham was walking up that mountain with Isaac, they were alone. Moses went to Pharoah with nothing but his bumbling-tongue. Such faith is easy to stare at and watch, maybe even stir our own hearts, but hard to shoulder.
The chorus is on FIRE. I took a promise, I get to be friends with my maker, and Christ saved me so that I can have as much or as little relationship with God as I want. Yet my actions show my desires to be south of heaven. I choose to play games with 'what-ifs' rather than give Him my heart and hands. The song goes on to ask for forgiveness for wasted timed mulling around. I hate to think I've wasted what little time God has granted me. All this being said, check out the song. The video is random, but the song is...

"I'm a doubting thomas,
I took a promise,
But I do not feel safe,
Oh me of little faith..."

No comments:

Post a Comment