Thursday, July 2, 2009

Is there a line?

Before I met Jordan my budgeting skills simply consisted of checking my online bank account to make sure the correct amount was deducted. Since we've been married (and even while we dated- yeah she wasn't a cheap date, but that was because I wanted to take her to all the nice places :), WOW. We have a record of everything we've purchased in an excel sheet. I went from apathetic to compulsive and now I can clearly see Jordan's effect on me as I get upset if I can't make all the numbers balance at the end of the month. I once heard that to know where someone's priorities lie, just look at their checkbook. It has been really fun to watch where our money goes, see who spends more on what, and consider where we should be spending more.

Of course, tithing is important. Virtually since the beginning of time, Christians have been tithing 10% to God through the local church. So, Jordan and I have always had that as a top priority. We both feel like generosity is an important part of the Christian life and that it truly is a blessing for us to be able to share what God has gifted us.

**Insert Brian Regan clip** Long story short, or one thing led to another... we've heard it is smart to start saving for retirement early. I read through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace a couple years back where he outlined two investments, one followed someone who saved from 25-45 and another who saved from 35-retirement(65) and the second investment never caught-up with the first (I might be off with the time scale, but you get the idea). So now that we are debt-free and saving money, we've decided to start a small retirement fund. I don't know if it was just the grind of life and unexpected expenses, or the retirement talk, but about two weeks ago, I got selfish. Or at least I think that's what it was. I began asking myself, where is the line? Have you ever asked that question? I feel like it isn't that uncommon. There are definitely situations where that is a valid question, but more often than not- I use it to get out of something. It's a lukewarm excuse that gives you just enough support to make a decision that you couldn't (or shouldn't) come to otherwise. Looking at our budget, there seemed to be an awful lot of money going to support churches and various other missions, but what is absolutely necessary? How much money do I have to give (outside of tithing) to be 'generous'?

Then this week, God decided enough of these shenanigans. Out of nowhere and entirely unexpected, He supplied extra. Not just a little extra, but a surplus. I know the definition of a lot of money differs, but if the Fed doesn't make a single bill in that amount (that I know of), it is a lot of money to me. It may be silly, but right in the midst of me worrying about how much to give, I felt like God sent me a reminder not to begin storing up treasure. Perhaps His way of saying, "Ya know, Joseph, why are you so caught up about how much money is in the one category that directly glorifies me and not yourself? Ya see, I can give you as much (or as little) as I want!" It might've even been a challenge to give more. I haven't quite discerned what it all means, but I thank God for getting to me before I developed a habit of half-hearted giving/sacrifice. I do think generosity is a heart matter more than material means and that God loves a joyful giver.

And on a completely separate note, since youtube didn't have the Brian Regan clip I wanted, this is another one of his bits that Jordan and I LOVE quoting to each other. His delivery is spot-on and we love it! Perhaps this is what Jordan was thinking when I started questioning our budget after sticking to it for a year!!






----------------
Now playing: Shane Barnard & Shane Everett - There Is Nothing Like You
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment