Monday, June 22, 2009

Maybe it isn't an old man's game




Last Friday was another first for me. Our department organized the 9th Annual CMB golf tournament and covered the greens fees for all graduate students and post-d0cs. Now usually I'd express more interest in politics or topology than golf, but with the minimal cost (only had to pay for a golf cart) and an excuse to have an extended weekend, I just couldn't pass it up!

Since signing our team up, the Smith Lab members (Julie, Greg, and I) planned to try our hands at the driving range several times before the tournament. Unfortunately, with the hurricane rain over the last two weeks, it never happened- leaving 3 out of 4 members of our team to play the tournament without any golf experience. I think we must've played fairly well, given country club employees harassed us only THREE times to notify us that we were an entire hole behind the team ahead of us and we were clogging up their course. Apparently the team format and playing the best hit ball doesn't help the speed of play if no one on the team actually knows how to play. It certainly didn't help that I sweat more than I did during the 10 miler back in April. Now that I think about it too, it probably wasn't smart to look like we knew what we were doing (and not) nor to start taking pictures of each other teeing off of the first hole, right in front of the clubhouse. I think we raised red flags on ourselves early.

All in all, it was a well-spent 6 hours for my first 18 holes ever. I don't think I found the sweet spot, nor did I hit a hole-in-one, but it is definitely my new hobby. Oh, and Play It Again Sports made my day yesterday. If you need sports equipment but don't want to pay full price for them, they can't be beat!


**Pic courtesy of Julie McClure, team captain and winner of most fashionably dressed (according to herself)



----------------
Now playing: The All-American Rejects - Gives You Hell
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment