Tuesday, May 4, 2010

When David Heard



So I don't listen to that much choral music. In fact, if you ran down the list of most-listened-to music on my iPod, you'd probably find my Jubilate music on the bottom. However, every once in a while you come across a piece of music that completely redefines a genre. Well, I don't even know what genre to classify this under, other than "Incredible." If there isn't such a category, there is now!
I ran by this Eric Whitacre piece a couple years ago and loved it. Since then I'd rediscover it every couple months and just now, I've discovered this group on youtube who does it the best I've ever heard. I think they're even better than the iTunes recording!
The lyrics from the song are straight out of the Bible.
2 Samuel 18:33

When David heard that Absalom was slain he went up into his chamber over the gate and wept, my son, my son, O Absalom my son, would God I had died for thee!


I'm not even a Father and I can't help but imagine the anguish David felt. It's even harder to grasp David's grief when you consider all the family history- Amnon's relation with Tamar, and then Absalom's revenge by killing his oldest brother resulting in exile. The fact that Absalom attempted to overthrow David and become king himself doesn't even cross David's mind. In fact, Absalom pursued David's blood while David ordered his troops to be gentle with Absalom. David wept, and mourned the separation from his son, and now he lost him. He pursued his son's affection until he couldn't any longer, leaving him tired and broken.

This songs emotion is virtually tangible. The cords are so intense that you get uncontrollable goosebumps. Or, I do at least. SERIOUSLY! I feel like the music set to these lyrics really captures David gnashing his teeth and sweating from all the weeping. I love the first couple minutes most especially, but if you listen to the entire song you'll hear a novel of grief. From talking himself through it, to screaming out to God. WOW. So, turn up the volume, and let the music invade your space!


No comments:

Post a Comment