Friday, May 15, 2009

A Spring Habit


I always get excited about scripture in the spring. I don't know what it is about the season, but even during my undergrad years at Tech, when the drillfield started warming up, I reached for my flashcards. I whipped out my flashcards to memorize scripture on the way to class, during class, watching the NBA playoffs- whatever, whenever.

So, to say the least, I wasn't surprised when I got thirsty again about a week ago. This time I didn't have my handwritten, torn-in-half notecards- I upgraded. One of my friends from high school who is in full-time ministry at Arizona State introduced me to some topical notecards that Navigators designed, complete with a plastic, laminated carrier. Look at me now! Yesterday I was reviewing the Christ Paid the Penalty topic out of Romans and 1 Peter. To be honest, I cannot remember the references, but I do know the verses-

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
"For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit."


Then this morning I was reading the first chapter of Isaiah as our Father reveals His frustration with our promiscuity and unfaithfulness. I love it when scripture comes together so beautifully. WOW. While we were still sinners, he covered our crimson-stained sin-FULL hearts with his cleansing blood. At the height of his anger and frustration, after we "have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them," our Father's heart melted.

From smoldering to smitten.

That kind of forgiveness makes me think of my younger days. I was sooo pathetic, it's really funny to think about it now- but man do I pity my parents 10 years ago. I'd get so incensed at my mom that I'd be red hot in the face, storming around the house (or punching holes in the wall, well only once). Lets be clear here, it was very rarely a righteous anger :) Often, if anyone so happened to look at me or talk to me, it'd ignite into a whole 'nother rampage. That's what I think of in Isaiah 1. Everytime we come back to God with our half-hearted sacrifices and superficial prayer, his soul hates it. Instead, He chose to die on the cross so we wouldn't have to (and couldn't) do anything to try to calm His storm and bear His wrath. Jesus turned from justified disgust and bore MY shame shame and MY scorn at the top of that hill. He saved me from His passion. Forgiveness. What a wonderful SAVIOR.


----------------
Now playing: John Mark McMillan - How He Loves
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment