Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The small things in life


It is often the big things in life that draw our attention. More often than not, it's the life-changing events that define who we are not only to ourselves, but to each other. Others often notice our impressive accomplishments and numerous accolades before anything else. I think you'd agree, however, that the little things in life subtly establish the larger things. Our habits, propensities, decisions, and customs slowly shape our persona and affect the person we are becoming.

All that being said, our move was yesterday. Jordan and I down-sized from a two bedroom, two level apartment to a one bedroom apartment. And all I have to say is, "WOW, when did we accumulate so much crap?!" And man, I didn't realize I'm such a girl... I have A LOT of clothes- more than Jordan! :( To my credit, every single article of clothing I own is bigger than hers though, so although it looks like I have more clothes, I do wonder how much the size biases the apparent volume. And hey, at least she still has more shoes than I do, nor do I get regular 'pedis' (which, apparently, some dudes are into *cough cough*). None-the-less, the move wasn't all that bad considering we only moved across the hall. With the help of two courageous Jubos, it was a fairly smooth transition that lasted less than 24 hours, and there weren't any major issues (like last year, when our boxspring couldn't fit up the stairwell even after hammering the wall in).

The worst part was getting the kitchen table into the kitchen. We had it on its side and down three quarters of the hallway when we reached the molding around the bathroom door. It isn't some big ostentatious piece of art, it's fairly simple. But apparently that half-a-centimeter was just too much.... After rotating the table and turning the table on both sides, we decided that a hammer wouldn't fix this job either, and so we shimmied back down the hall where I could remove the table top from the legs and easily re-assemble it in the kitchen. All-in-all, I'm happy with the new place. It has promise and I think will make quite a home- once the internet and A/C start working :) I guess I shouldn't worry about those little things all that much...?


----------------
Now playing: David Crowder Band - Remedy
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

  1. For the record, I have only gotten TWO pedicures in my entire 23 years... and one was for our wedding, so it doesn't really count ;)

    ReplyDelete